Should You DIY or Hire a Professional for Your Home Improvement Project?
Yes, do it yourself home improvement can be fun, as well as can save you money for renovation services provided by professionals. But there are some factors which you might want to consider before grabbing that toolbox and starting your home improvement. In some cases, it is recommended that you leave the work to the professionals because repairs of your mistakes can turn out to be more costly than hiring builders to complete your renovation in the first place. Also, safety is another matter which you should take seriously before attempting a DIY home improvement project. For example, do you know what safety footwear would you need for your next home improvement job. According to the footwear website My Bootprint knowing the hazards and how to avoid them is a must. Dangers include slipping, breaking a toe from a falling or rolling object, suffering electric shock.
So, here are some factors which you may want to consider when facing the dilemma of hiring a professional or doing it yourself:
- Do you know what materials and tools you need for completing your project – the quantity, quality, and type?
- Do you have the skill set and experience to complete the job by yourself? For electrical work, plumbing, roofing and some other complicated tasks you may seriously want to consider hiring a subcontractor or licensed professional to do complete them. You can stick to simpler tasks such as painting and others.
- Do you know how long this project will take you and do you have the time and the energy to complete it by yourself? This, of course, depends on the numbers of hours you work or other time-consuming activities you perform on a daily basis. Your age, health, and fitness level are also crucial for determining whether you have the energy and stamina to do it yourself.
Are you ready to handle the legal issues, such as getting permits and licenses, as well as – are you aware of what your local regulations and rules for home improvement are? If your answer is no, then you may want to hire a professional to handle the permits and licenses and to make sure that the renovations or reconstructions are done in accordance with all local laws.
- Is the task dangerous, can it kill you and can it destroy your home? If the answer to these questions is “yes”, then make sure you hire a professional to do the job safely and efficiently.
- If the job is done poorly it could affect the value of your property. Badly done work reduces the price drastically, so keep this in mind as well.
- Make sure that the price of your labor is worth it. Calculate your hourly “wage” for the DIY job, and make sure that hiring a professional won’t be cheaper.
- Always keep in mind that if you make a mistake during your renovation, getting it fixed by professionals can be costly. Even more expensive than hiring them to do the job in the first place. So, do consider this risk as well before proceeding to DIY renovate.
Please, keep in mind that picking between hiring a professional or DIY innovation work is not just a matter of saving a few dollars. It is also a matter of time, your safety and the safety of your home so pick wisely.
Written by M.Pierce – Mike is an outdoor enthusiast, footwear fanatic, and coffee-addict. He runs two websites dedicated to quality footwear – My Bootprint with special focus on work boots, and Shoematters.com – a site focused on comfortable footwear for different activities.